Coffee blended with grass-fed butter and MCT oil.
- 1-2 cups brewed coffee from Upgraded Coffee beans
- Up to 2 tbs grassfed, unsalted butter
- Up to 1 tbs Brain Octane or XCT Oil
- Liquid NuNaturals Stevia to taste
- Place all ingredients in Vitamix or blender.
- Blend on high until foamy.
- Pour into mug and enjoy!
- Do not skip the blending process and simply stir the oils in. Your end result will not taste good.
- Optional additions: Upgraded Vanilla, Upgraded Chocolate Powder, Cinnamon.
- Grass-fed ghee is a perfect alternative to butter if you do not tolerate dairy.
Adapted from The Bulletproof Diet by Dave Asprey
Adapted from The Bulletproof Diet by Dave Asprey
Studio TimeOut http://studiotimeout.com/
Why would you ever drink coffee with butter or oil in it?
And what’s the deal with “bulletproof coffee”? What is it and why would you drink it? For those avoiding caffeine or coffee, read on, we have something for you too here!
We recommend you get the book The Bulletproof Diet by Dave Asprey and read it for all the details. It’s intriguing and a good read. If you’re looking for a higher performance life, you’ll like the book. Higher performance meaning your mind will be clear and you’ll have great focus and concentration. Your body will be less burdened with toxins and your brain will have the nutrients it needs for high performance. You’ll get more done, faster…. and have time left over for the fun stuff. You’ll even get more out of exercise.
If you find yourself with low energy, feeling tired after eating, unable to drop excess weight, this could help you.
You’ll learn that many foods and coffee in particular is very high in mold. The mold toxins are what make people feel bad. It seems like it’s the coffee or the food itself, when in fact it’s the mold toxins. Mold toxins can make people lose mental clarity and focus. Mold can cause people to react with symptoms similar to food sensitivities: mood swings, head aches, skin rashes, body aches. So you might think you’re reacting to a food when indeed it’s the mold. For instance, peanuts are most often contaminated with mold toxins. maybe you’re not reacting to the peanuts, but to the mold!!!
Most people notice an absence of their typical reactions to coffee when they switch to “Upgraded Coffee Beans” (the Bulletproof brand of coffee).
The Bulletproof Coffee company goes through extraordinary measures to assure their coffee does not have mold. You should be able to feel the difference. Even if you don’t go for the butter and oil in your coffee, just using this coffee will be a step up from everyday coffee.
We’ve been big proponents of coffee with the reishi mushrooms (the Organo Gold coffee). The mushrooms add an immune benefit and other benefits to the coffee including less caffeine and a calming effect. We’ve heard from so many of you the benefits you’ve gotten from the OG coffee.
The Upgraded Bulletproof coffee is another great choice especially for people who love the brewed coffee (and not instant packets). They both have their place. For me, (Jeanne), I need the calming action of the OG coffee. The upgraded coffee is a bit much for my system… unless I just have a very small amount.
The point is everyone needs to try it and fine tune what works for you with this new information about the mold and about adding the good fats to your coffee. We each are unique in how our bodies respond, so what works for one person may not be the best for someone else. Mushrooms and coffee fall into this category!
In fact, non-coffee drinkers can get the benefit of bulletproof coffee without any coffee at all. If you drink tea, make it with tea, butter, the MCT or Brain Octane oil and there you have the good fats feeding your brain for better performance.
What if you don’t drink tea or coffee, and want no caffeine at all? It still works! You mix hot water, the upgraded vanilla (without mold toxins), butter, oil and you have a creamy vanilla drink. Add a few drops of the liquid Nu Naturals stevia to sweeten. We don’t recommend adding agave, artificial sweeteners or sugar. However, a tiny amount of local, raw honey can work for some people. Be sure you do not use a stevia product with erythritol in it unless you can be sure it’s non-gmo erythritol.
Or make it chocolate
. Hot water, upgraded cocoa powder, butter, oil… mix it up in the blender….. and you have a creamy hot chocolate drink. Use a few drops of stevia as directed above.
The Bulletproof chocolate and vanilla are fantastic antioxidants. Most cocoa powder is processed with alkali… look on the package! This strips the antioxidant benefit. The bulletproof brand of cocoa is not processed this way and therefore keeps the amazingly high antioxidant quality of the cocoa. The same is true for the vanilla powder.
When you combine the chocolate, the coffee, the vanilla…. those 3 are giving you high amounts of antioxidant benefit PLUS huge phytonutrient benefit. Combine that with high quality fats that feed your brain, get incorporated into your cell membranes, stabilize your blood sugar and dramatically reduce inflammation, you can see the health benefits.
That’s not all! The butyric acid in the butter and the lauric acid in the oil make great strides in improving your gut microbiome. You’ve been hearing so much in the news lately about the gut bacteria. It’s central to your health. Good health starts in the gut. Well, both these fats support and feed your good bacteria and make it a very bad environment for your “bad bacteria”, yeasts and parasites.
The key is using the right butter. It MUST be pasture butter from 100% grass fed cows. Using butter from corn fed cows defeats the entire purpose. Don’t use butter at all if that’s what you’re doing. That type of butter is very bad for your health so all the info you’ve heard that butter is artery clogging, inflammatory, makes you fat and gives you heart disease is TRUE!!! But true for butter (and meat) coming from cattle feeding on GMO corn doused with herbicides, given antibiotics and hormones. Here again, like the mold, it’s not the butter and the meat making you fat and sick, it’s the TYPE of butter and meat…. it make ALL THE DIFFERENCE.
So again, choose only butter coming from 100% grass fed cows and you’ll get a butter with a completely different fat profile than one coming from the corn fed animals.
Be sure to choose unsalted butter for your coffee.
The MCT, XCT and “Brain Octane” oil is a derivative of coconut oil. It’s only the medium chain part of the oil. That means it gets burned quickly as fuel. It feeds you brain and gives you physical energy rather than getting stored as fat.
You must start slow with the oil. Use 1 tsp to start. Increase slowly. If you’re doing well with it, increase to up to 2 TBSP in your drink.
The special oil also helps you sleep better. It’s a good idea to have a cup of the vanilla or chocolate drink before bed.
You can mix the MCT/Brain Octane oil with good quality coconut oil to get the benefits of the lauric acid. All those oils are beneficial so mix and match.
We have a few different points here:
- Eating a diet with reduced mold content can dramatically improve the way you feel. To learn more about a diet with reduced mold, read the “Bulletproof Diet” book.
- Adding good fats can improve health by feeding your brain, stabilizing blood sugar, reducing inflammation and improving the gut microbiome. NOTE: this assumes you are not undoing this by consuming a diet containing processed foods, excess carbs/ sugar and inflammatory fats such as corn oil, canola oil, soybean oil, factory farmed meat, etc.
- Eating foods like no mold coffee, cocoa and vanilla containing no mold and processed in a careful way can add beneficial plant nutrients giving not only antioxidant effects but helping to “turn on” good healthy genes and suppress the genes that lead to disease.
- The best part is people enjoy these drinks, whether made with coffee, cocoa or vanilla. A warm, aromatic drink in the morning or before bed is heaven….. why would you NOT?????
- Use grass-fed, unsalted butter. If you choose conventional, salted butter your coffee will taste terrible and you will be filling your body with inflammatory fats. Grass-fed ghee is a great alternative to butter if you do not tolerate dairy.
- Don’t cut corners and skip the blending process. If you simply stir the butter and oil into the coffee you will see pools of fat and you will be very disappointed. The drink must be blended in order to emulsify the fats and create a foamy, latte effect.
- Experiment with your drink. If it didn’t turn out, troubleshoot. Maybe too much butter. maybe the coffee is not strong enough…or too strong. Maybe you want a bit of cocoa in your coffee, or a few drops of stevia.
- If the blender is too much trouble, purchase a milk frother. It’s WAY faster and less clean up.
Where do you get these ingredients?
We carry grass fed and unsalted butter right here in the studio, along with the coffee, the oils, the cocoa and vanilla. One stop. Get the book wherever you find books.