Far Infrared Sauna
The best way to detox heavy metals and environmental toxins is with an infrared sauna. It works by heating your body from the inside out and drawing impurities from your cells to the surface of your skin.
If you’re someone who doesn’t like heat, this type of sauna is much more comfortable than a traditional sauna. It’s a lower temperature – because the infrared heats you from the inside out, the air temp in the sauna can remain much cooler, while still allowing you to sweat profusely.
In fact, the primary benefit of this sauna is exposure to the infrared rays. The sweating part is beneficial, but secondary. The goal is to be comfortable throughout your entire session.
BENEFITS OF THE INFRARED SAUNA
Detox 6 Pack (mix & match with the Ion Cleanse) $120
Single 30min Session $30
HOW OFTEN SHOULD I USE THE SAUNA?
Every person handles the sauna differently. We recommend you start with 2 sessions within a week and see how you feel. If you felt good, add a third that week. If you felt like your body was detoxing too quickly, stick with 2/wk or back down to 1/wk for awhile. The goal is to feel comfortable throughout your entire session. If you start to feel nervous, shaky, lightheaded, pounding heart, or excessively impatient, open the door and cool down. Remember, the sauna doesn’t have to be hot. Just sitting in it without a lot of heat is providing many benefits of the sauna.
HOW DOES INFRARED DIFFER FROM A TRADITIONAL SAUNA?
A traditional sauna relies on radiant heat to warm the air and room. Some people describe the sensation of this type of heat as “enveloping heat” in that it warms up your surroundings and the surface of your body. This is great for relaxation and for sweating. The infrared sauna uses heat lamps to produce a deep, penetrating heat. The far infrared energy emitted from the lamps is close to the same wavelength as that which the body naturally emits, which usually feels more comfortable for people. The infrared rays are able to penetrate deeper into your body to release toxins and aid in detoxification.
Research has shown that an infrared sauna releases 20% toxins into your sweat versus only 3% toxins in normal sweat from exercise, traditional saunas, hot tubs, or regular daily activity.
Research has also shown you lose a lot less minerals in an infrared sauna as you would in a traditional one.
If any of the below apply to you, please consult with a physician and use extreme caution before using the sauna:
- Medication use: diuretics, barbiturates, and beta-blockers may impair the body’s natural heat loss mechanisms. Some over-the-counter drugs such as antihistamines may also cause the body to be more prone to heat stroke.
- Individuals with cardiovascular conditions or problems (hypertension, hypotension, congestive heart failure, or impaired coronary circulation) or those who are taking medications which might affect blood pressure
- Alcohol and/or recreational drug use
- Chronic conditions associated with a reduced ability to perspire
- Hemophiliacs/people prone to bleeding
- Individuals with an insensitivity to heat
- Use caution if you have a history of psychedelic drug use. The sauna can release drugs still stored in your system and you may experience hallucinations. Start slow and combine the sauna with other detox support
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Our Favorite Sauna
There are a lot of different infrared saunas on the market, but not all are created equally. The one we use and recommend is the Thermal Life InfraRed Sauna from High Tech Health. We like it because the makers have detoxification and health in mind. Some of the benefits of this sauna are:
- Made of hypoallergenic, solid poplar wood
- Tempered glass window instead of plastic
- Water-based, low-chemical glue used (wherever it is sparingly needed)
- Low electromagnetic frequency (EMF) output
- Adjustable controls to allow your body to detoxify at its own rate
- Specially-designed heaters that give off the far-infrared rays that are best at detoxification
We would actually recommend you purchase your own sauna to use at home. Receive $500 off a High Tech Health sauna when you let them know StudioTimeOut referred you (we don’t receive any money or bonuses from their sales).
“The body can get rid of phthalates and other toxins in sweat…by using a far infrared sauna… [Saunas] actually improve the depuration of (foreign chemicals) far beyond what folks could with sweating via athletic exercise.” “…you need to be sure that the sauna is constructed from the best [materials]… That’s why my favorite sauna for over 2 decades has been the High Tech Health Far Infrared Sauna.” — Dr. Sherry Rogers, Total Wellness, May 2016
- Before your sauna, drink 1-2 glasses of water. To help you sweat more, drink warm water or herbal tea
- Avoid the sauna directly after intense exercise. Allow yourself to cool down before entering the sauna
- The goal is to feel comfortably warm – if your heart is racing, you get anxious, you can’t wait for it to be over –> open the door to cool it down as often as necessary
- Most people prefer to go in naked. If you prefer, change into a swim suit or underwear
- We recommend you bring loose clothing to change into after your sauna
- We recommend you spend your session meditating or relaxing, or practicing rhythmic breathing. We provide an iPod with calming music and a meditation to choose from
- We provide fresh towels for each person. When you enter the sauna, you’ll see a big towel laid out on the bench and a smaller towel on the floor. Use more towels if needed
- Use a small washcloth (provided) to wipe down during the sauna. If you’re not sweating, wipe down and soon sweat will appear
- Do not touch the wood of the sauna with bare skin – stay on your towels
- Place your used towels in the laundry bucket when finished
- Your sauna can be before or after the ion cleanse – your preference.
- After your sauna, take a Detox Cocktail (reduced glutathione, alpha lipoic acid, and vitamin C). Ask us at the front desk. $5 for a single cocktail, or you may purchase your own supply of supplements. The Detox Cocktail helps you replenish nutrients you lost during your sauna.