Magnesium is a mineral involved in more than 300 reactions in your body (so it’s very important!). Most everyone is deficient in magnesium (Mg). The following are 3 major causes:
- Stress causes Mg depletion
- Sugar intake depletes Mg
- The soil is depleted of Mg (so our food is low in Mg)
What symptoms do you get with low Mg?
- Low energy
- Cramping muscles
- Headaches (including migraine)
- Trouble sleeping
- High blood pressure
- Heart arythmias
- Restless legs
- Menstrual cramps
- ….and many more
The odd thing is, stress depletes Mg >> Low Mg limits your ability to handle stress >> The stress further depletes your Mg….. and it become a viscous cycle.
It sounds like Mg is a cure-all for everything, doesn’t it? It’s not. But since Mg is involved in so many chemical reactions in your body, a lack of Mg affects your whole body….so it does seem like a miracle!
How do you get more Mg?
- Diet (eat more kelp, green veggies, brazil nuts, almonds, millet, etc). Diet should be #1, however, you’ll need more than food to replenish your Mg)
- Diet (sugar and caffeine depletes Mg)
- Take epsom salt baths (2 cups in the bath and soak)
- Use Mg Gel or Oil (put all over body, shower off after 20 minutes)
- Oral supplement Mg Glycinate (better absorption than other Mg salts)
- People with kidney disease avoid Mg oral supplements unless ok by MD.
- Using all the above methods is more effective than only using one
Can I get too much Mg?
You’ll get diarrhea if you get too much Mg. It’s self limiting.